Where the Crazy turns into something Amazing

About Me

My photo
I'm a stay at home mom who's found blogging to be the best way to vent rationally. I love spending time with my family. This blog is my journal, since I find journaling to be somewhat tedious, so if you visit often, just know that things will be "real."

My Motivating Quote

Pull up your big girl panties and figure it out!

Thursday, August 28, 2008

A little R & R

I just got back from three fantastic days with my best friend/lover/my whole world. Thanks be to Coleen and Erik and Grandma Collette for watching my kids and making it possible.
As I was making arrangements to leave, and listing things of what I needed to do, who I needed to talk to, and what I needed to buy before leaving for San Fran, I realized something. In order for me to "get away," there was an inordinate amount of stuff to be done and schedules to be juggled. All just for me to leave for 3 days! I realized that, by golly, I am important! Without me, this whole family thing would just... fall apart! No really though, it takes a lot of rearranging. OTHER people have to rearrange their schedules so that I can get away. And that, my friends, is priceless!
I really do have amazing family members!
Doug had CPE training to keep up his CPA license in San Francisco. Yeah, go look up those abbreviations. He wanted me to go with him, and luckily it worked out that I could! The first day, while Doug went off to class, I watched two movies, jumped on the bed (yeah, that's right, and it felt ridiculously great!), tried to avoid crazy-psycho-guy trying to pick me up! (Why do I always feel like I have to be nice when this happens? Is it because I don't want them to feel the sting of rejection? I've learned my lesson though. Smiling politely only ENCOURAGES them!!), and I got lost. Downtown San Fran can be very confusing when you're direction challenged. I finally made it to Union Square, did a little shopping, and tried to make it back to the hotel. But I couldn't find the hotel!! I know what you're thinking- "How can you not see a BIG ole hotel?" Well, that's cause the door to the hotel was only ONE little front door, the advertising was spiddly, and I must have walked by it 100 times!! As I felt the blisters on my feet pop, cause I was stupid enough to wear fashionable sandals, I finally caved and walked into the post office to ask directions. What better place to ask directions than the post office! Am I right? Well, I was. He told me it was just on the corner over there yonder. Guess what? I STILL MISSED IT. That's how camoflauged the door is. Finally though I made, but not without wondering if I was going to have to sit on the corner with the panhandlers and wait for Doug to come and get me.
We saw the Giants play, spent $40 bucks on two hot dogs, nachos, peanuts, and ONE drink. I swear, the ball park prices should be considered un-american!
We went to the Exploratorium, cause I have never been. Spent three hours there and made our way over to the Golden Gate Bridge where we walked halfway across. You know, it's REALLY high. And I REALLY hate heights. I didn't use to, but the older I get the more paranoid and safe I get. I used to be quite the daredevil, but some internal part of me decided that it really liked its organs, and preferably still working.
We ate out, and if you know me, this would be vacation enough. I DIDN'T HAVE TO COOK!!!
Doug spent the last day in class again and then we headed home. The last hour and a half spent in the car was horrible!! The A/C in the car quit. QUIT. On the HOTTEST day of the summer thus far!! We were so hot driving home, cause even the WIND was scorching, that we soaked our clothes just sweating. Our faces were red, and before we could head over to Back to School night at the middle School, we had to stop at Target and change. And cool off!
But it was so nice to get away and not have to worry about anyone but myself and Doug. The hotel was old and charming, even though they really should think about enlarging their door. It really was wonderful!!!
No, no pictures. We thought about bringing it, but then decided not to. Of course we regretted it right away. I mean, sheesh! No one goes anywhere without their camera anymore. It's like leaving without your purse or cell phone.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

so jealous! what a fun little jaunt you had. can't wait till charlie is old enough because i'm so going on trip with just my hubby, too.

krisha said...

Thanks for sparing us all the lovey dovey pics of you and Doug:)I told Seth when I finish Nursing School he is taking me somewhere just the two of us. I think everyone needs a time out of life for a few days to relax.

Kimmy said...

we were JUST talking about how much we miss San Francisco! I'm glad you got to get away with Doug. That sounds like so much fun! (except for the whole no air conditioning thing...bummer)

Cheralyn said...

Fun stuff! Everyone needs a break from our little peeps now and then. That stinks about your AC going out - literally :)

Blog Archive

TCBOTB

Funny Things The Kids Say

One day Andon and I were talking about our hearts. He asked me how they worked, I gave him an explanation a 4 y r old could understand, (the only one I understand.) The very next day, I said something to Zak. Something that went along the lines of, "quit that!" or some such demand. Andon then says to me: "Mommy, listen to your heart. That's not very nice." Needless to say I felt like a complete and total toad. Just goes to show that you can always learn more from your children than you could ever teach them yourself.

While we were camping, Andon and our friend's son were sitting next to one another. Brayden who is 15 says to Andon, "I've known you since you were a baby." Andon replies, "I've known me since I was a baby too!"



Brittnee is our funny bone. The things she says sometimes are so dang funny! One day, as she was walking by Doug she says, "Hello, my good man." We both looked at her and we both began cracking up. This is how she's referred to him lately.



I was sitting on the couch taking a breather after dinner and Andon walks past me into the kitchen. He had a car in his hand and as he walked by the fridge he must have dropped it because I heard him say, "tartar sauce!" I suppose I should limit his sponge bob watching.


I was in the car with the kids coming home from Britt's tap class and she was telling me about the school BBQ that day. She mentioned that her friend got sick. I asked her what happened and she said, "Layla has lots of diseases so she had to go home." I didn't think I heard her clearly, so I repeated back, "diseases?" Britt said, "Yes, Diseases." By this time I was truly perplexed because I knew she didn't really mean disease, but I couldn't figure out what she DID mean. Then Teaghan pipes up and says, "You mean ALLERGIES?" Brittnee says, "Oh yeah, that's what it is. ALLERGIES!" I laughed heartily, the kind where your shoulders shake and your stomach hurts.


We were at the school today, and on one of the playgrounds is these cubes that turn. On them are the states and their capitols. There's quite a few of them, and they're all blue. Zakry starts playing with them and turning them all, and then I hear, "mommy, look, a car wash." I suppose the large blue cubes reminded him of the car wash we went on last week. So funny!!