Warning: I am going to vent a little. Or a lot. Who knows? Here goes!
Andon's birthday is tomorrow. He turns 7. I know...where did the time fly? I ask this every time one of my kids has a birthday. So I've been thinking of what to bring as a birthday treat, besides the same old cupcake. For one, it's extremely messy, and I have been in the classroom helping on those days that a parent brings in cupcakes and the teacher just sighs and says, "I hate those things." So cupcakes were out before it even got started. I'm not particularly clever in the food department. Love to eat..hate to cook. I joke that I should have been a food critic. Now that would have been fun!
So I get online to see what other people have been up to. (Seriously you guys, I google EVERYTHING:) The internet, and especially blogland always have great ideas. Seriously, people are so dang clever! I thought for sure I'd find SOMETHING. And I did. I was looking for something easy, not altogether unhealthy, but definitely something the kids would like without the proverbial "It's a birthday. We have to eat crap for a birthday, don't ya know?" Well I came across a blog and I'm thinking that this site will have lots of great ideas, cause that's what the name generates right? Weeell..no. Google failed me:) This actually is a blog of some domestic diva spouting off her ideals on politics. Well, after all, it is free speech. Just like this blog is too, so really, whatever rocks your boat. Say what you will, I don't have to read it. But I was intrigued because she had posted a letter from her child's teacher that her daughter had just brought home. This is what the letter said:
Dear Parents,
This year I am trying to give the students only healthy treats and snacks. Please do not bring cupcakes or cookies for birthday treats. They are very messy and hard to get out of the carpet. Other ideas for treats are: crackers, fruit snacks, fresh fruit or veggies, pencils, or erasers.
I thought that sounded like a cool idea, we've even had teachers that have requested that very thing over the years. I continued onto the comments section and was amazed at what was shared. There was comments like "school's are sucking all the joy out of childhood," and "My wife is a teacher and I know she'd never get picky with parents like this....pencils, erasers for snack food? I'd think the teacher's an idiot."
REALLY!?!?! Sucking the joy out of childhood because the teacher asked for healthier treats???? Mocking some child's parent because they wanted to bring in something that wasn't food or sweets???
So I am completely incensed by now and keep reading on. I come across a comment from some woman named Sandy and here's what she said:
"Really? Is it so offensive to request that kids have a healthy snack at school? Sucking the life out of their childhood? Oh, what a horrible life. Crackers and cheese. An apple. Please, Rebecca. Give'em the hostess at home; kids won't have a miserable childhood because they eat one less cupcake a week. Maybe, as adults, they will thus learn to lead a more balanced life. Sandy. "
I am thinking, "FINALLY!" Someone with some sense. I'm also thinking that there are going to be more people that agreed with her.
Nope.
Not a one.
She got blasted. And I was so mad!! I tried to leave an anonymous comment but it wouldn't let me, and I didn't want any backlash on my blog here.
She then quotes the bible: "Proverbs 24:13 My child, eat honey, for it is good, and the honeycomb is sweet to the taste. I wonder what God is trying to tell me."
Pause.
Say WHAT????
I just shake my head sometimes because that's all you can do.
So here's my opinion, and you can tell me if I'm way off base here. What is so HORRIBLE about the teacher wanting to have healthier snacks? What is so bad about a teacher requesting that there be items that she doesn't want brought in to her classroom? And if that means healthier treats being brought in from home, what is the problem? I don't see anything wrong with this. It's certainly not hurting anyone for pity sake. You want to serve my kid an apple? How dare you! (Really?) I understand the schools have to provide healthier lunches than they did 20 or however many years ago. I really don't think it's a bad idea to ask parents to bring in healthier choices for birthdays. Especially when there are food allergies, or religious restrictions, or you're simply just trying to eat healthier. Just because it's tradition to bring in the sweets doesn't mean we can't bring in an alternative option without the idea being ridiculed. I think that's what's got me so up in arms; that the idea of not being allowed to bring a treat into someone's classroom is so very offensive to some.
I for one don't remember all the crap I ate as a kid. I remember the memories. And honestly, those memories wouldn't be tainted because a cupcake wasn't involved!!
Was I thinking of taking in veggies to school tomorrow? No. If my school had a policy about the healthier snacks being brought verses the junky ones, I would abide by that. However, I was thinking of trying to minimize the amount of sweetness in whatever food I decided to bring and thus am giving to other people's kids too. I actually was thinking of taking in smoothies, or something that didn't have a ton of sugar in it, or some small little toys instead of food. There are quite a few religious restrictions and allergies in Andon's class. Do I think less of you if you bring in cupcakes? By all means, NO. I've brought in more cupcakes than I care to count. I just think that if the teacher asks that there not be messy foods brought in, she shouldn't be ridiculed for it.
What do you think? Am I way off base here?
Hopefully this hasn't offended anybody. It is solely my opinion, but I welcome comments if you have an opinion. You can disagree, just be nice about it. My fragile feelings can't handle it:)
Oh, and if you have an alternative idea other than cupcakes for birthday treats to school, I SOOO welcome the idea.
Where the Crazy turns into something Amazing
About Me
- kristin
- I'm a stay at home mom who's found blogging to be the best way to vent rationally. I love spending time with my family. This blog is my journal, since I find journaling to be somewhat tedious, so if you visit often, just know that things will be "real."
My Motivating Quote
Pull up your big girl panties and figure it out!
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
School Treats?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Older Posts
Quest with a camera
Journal Jar Prattle
Blogging is Good for You
Completely Engrossed
Fast-idious Genes
Half Assedness
In the Mind of a 4 yr. old
Moral Mirrors
My Crazy LIfe
My Epiphany
No Secrets in This House
One of THOSE days
Orange Chicken
Potty Training 1 year later
The Main Reason I BLog
Trauma Drama
Blog Archive
-
►
2012
(11)
- ► 12/30 - 01/06 (1)
- ► 12/16 - 12/23 (2)
- ► 10/21 - 10/28 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (1)
- ► 01/22 - 01/29 (1)
- ► 01/15 - 01/22 (1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (2)
- ► 01/01 - 01/08 (2)
-
▼
2011
(43)
- ► 12/11 - 12/18 (2)
- ► 12/04 - 12/11 (2)
- ► 11/27 - 12/04 (2)
- ► 11/13 - 11/20 (4)
- ► 11/06 - 11/13 (4)
- ► 08/14 - 08/21 (2)
- ► 07/24 - 07/31 (1)
- ► 07/03 - 07/10 (1)
- ► 06/26 - 07/03 (1)
- ► 06/05 - 06/12 (2)
- ► 05/29 - 06/05 (1)
- ► 05/08 - 05/15 (1)
- ► 04/24 - 05/01 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 04/10 - 04/17 (1)
- ► 04/03 - 04/10 (2)
- ► 03/27 - 04/03 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (1)
- ► 03/06 - 03/13 (2)
- ► 02/27 - 03/06 (1)
- ► 02/13 - 02/20 (2)
- ► 01/30 - 02/06 (1)
- ► 01/23 - 01/30 (1)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
-
►
2010
(42)
- ► 12/05 - 12/12 (4)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (2)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (2)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (1)
- ► 10/31 - 11/07 (2)
- ► 10/17 - 10/24 (1)
- ► 09/12 - 09/19 (1)
- ► 09/05 - 09/12 (1)
- ► 08/29 - 09/05 (1)
- ► 08/22 - 08/29 (2)
- ► 08/15 - 08/22 (2)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (2)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (2)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
- ► 06/20 - 06/27 (2)
- ► 06/13 - 06/20 (1)
- ► 06/06 - 06/13 (1)
- ► 04/25 - 05/02 (1)
- ► 04/11 - 04/18 (1)
- ► 02/28 - 03/07 (2)
- ► 02/07 - 02/14 (2)
- ► 01/31 - 02/07 (2)
- ► 01/24 - 01/31 (1)
- ► 01/17 - 01/24 (1)
- ► 01/10 - 01/17 (2)
- ► 01/03 - 01/10 (1)
-
►
2009
(31)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (2)
- ► 10/11 - 10/18 (1)
- ► 10/04 - 10/11 (1)
- ► 09/27 - 10/04 (1)
- ► 09/13 - 09/20 (2)
- ► 09/06 - 09/13 (1)
- ► 07/12 - 07/19 (1)
- ► 07/05 - 07/12 (1)
- ► 05/31 - 06/07 (3)
- ► 05/24 - 05/31 (1)
- ► 05/17 - 05/24 (2)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (1)
- ► 04/19 - 04/26 (2)
- ► 04/12 - 04/19 (2)
- ► 03/22 - 03/29 (1)
- ► 03/15 - 03/22 (1)
- ► 03/08 - 03/15 (1)
- ► 02/22 - 03/01 (1)
- ► 02/15 - 02/22 (2)
- ► 02/08 - 02/15 (1)
- ► 02/01 - 02/08 (1)
- ► 01/25 - 02/01 (1)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (1)
-
►
2008
(59)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (1)
- ► 12/14 - 12/21 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (2)
- ► 11/30 - 12/07 (2)
- ► 11/23 - 11/30 (1)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (1)
- ► 11/02 - 11/09 (1)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (1)
- ► 10/05 - 10/12 (1)
- ► 09/28 - 10/05 (1)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/14 - 09/21 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (2)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/24 - 08/31 (1)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (3)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (2)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (3)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (1)
- ► 07/20 - 07/27 (2)
- ► 07/13 - 07/20 (3)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (3)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (1)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (2)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (2)
- ► 06/08 - 06/15 (2)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (3)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (1)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (1)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
- ► 04/13 - 04/20 (1)
- ► 04/06 - 04/13 (2)
- ► 03/30 - 04/06 (2)
- ► 03/16 - 03/23 (1)
- ► 03/09 - 03/16 (1)
- ► 03/02 - 03/09 (1)
- ► 01/27 - 02/03 (1)
- ► 01/20 - 01/27 (1)
Photography Sites I love
My Blog List
-
-
5 years ago
-
15 years ago
-
6 years ago
-
-
15 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
18 years ago
-
15 years ago
-
10 years ago
-
-
-
15 years ago
-
13 years ago
-
7 years ago
-
14 years ago
-
15 years ago
-
16 years ago
-
16 years ago
-
15 years ago
-
9 years ago
-
12 years ago
-
16 years ago
-
11 years ago
-
-
14 years ago
-
-
-
Funny Things The Kids Say
One day Andon and I were talking about our hearts. He asked me how they worked, I gave him an explanation a 4 y r old could understand, (the only one I understand.) The very next day, I said something to Zak. Something that went along the lines of, "quit that!" or some such demand. Andon then says to me: "Mommy, listen to your heart. That's not very nice." Needless to say I felt like a complete and total toad. Just goes to show that you can always learn more from your children than you could ever teach them yourself.While we were camping, Andon and our friend's son were sitting next to one another. Brayden who is 15 says to Andon, "I've known you since you were a baby." Andon replies, "I've known me since I was a baby too!"
Brittnee is our funny bone. The things she says sometimes are so dang funny! One day, as she was walking by Doug she says, "Hello, my good man." We both looked at her and we both began cracking up. This is how she's referred to him lately.
I was sitting on the couch taking a breather after dinner and Andon walks past me into the kitchen. He had a car in his hand and as he walked by the fridge he must have dropped it because I heard him say, "tartar sauce!" I suppose I should limit his sponge bob watching.
I was in the car with the kids coming home from Britt's tap class and she was telling me about the school BBQ that day. She mentioned that her friend got sick. I asked her what happened and she said, "Layla has lots of diseases so she had to go home." I didn't think I heard her clearly, so I repeated back, "diseases?" Britt said, "Yes, Diseases." By this time I was truly perplexed because I knew she didn't really mean disease, but I couldn't figure out what she DID mean. Then Teaghan pipes up and says, "You mean ALLERGIES?" Brittnee says, "Oh yeah, that's what it is. ALLERGIES!" I laughed heartily, the kind where your shoulders shake and your stomach hurts.
We were at the school today, and on one of the playgrounds is these cubes that turn. On them are the states and their capitols. There's quite a few of them, and they're all blue. Zakry starts playing with them and turning them all, and then I hear, "mommy, look, a car wash." I suppose the large blue cubes reminded him of the car wash we went on last week. So funny!!

8 comments:
I love reading your posts. "Sucking the joy out of childhood"??? HAHAHA. That's pretty intense, if all the joy of childhood is brought by cupcakes and junkfood at school....that's pretty sad. Sure the kids love a sweet treat, but they also devour a plate of apple slices or oranges when they are brought into class too. I think they're grateful for any treat!! ;)
No, you're not off base. Bringing treats on birthdays bugs me in general though. Whenever one of my first-graders brought treats in (even though I specifically requested that they didn't) on their birthdays it totally disrupted the day. Teachers only have so much time to teach. Keep birthday treats and such at home with the family and celebrate with the family. The class will sing and acknowledge the birthday, no need for a party, too.
Cupcakes!! Cupcakes!!! Cupcakes!!! :)
I have to agree with Elisha - Cupcakes cupcakes cupcakes!!!
I saw a really cute idea on Martha Stewart Living online - you make some cupcakes, but instead of frosting on them, she used fondant and placed them on a mat in the shape of a caterpillar. The head cupcake was super cute with a face and antennas. At least with the fondant, it is one piece and won't mess the carpet when one falls on the floor!
I tried to get Jadon to take pencils or erasers for his birthday, but he insisted on treats. However, I REFUSE to do cupcakes. I can't even stand having my 2 oldest eat them cuz they make such a mess. I can't imagine a class of 24 or more!
As for alternatives, all I've managed so far is cookies. :) Not exactly a healthier option, but usually less messy. Good Luck!
My kids are not cupcake kids. So, I do donuts. Not super cheap, but so much yummier. NOT with sprinkles or anything. Just plain glazed or half glazed and half chocolate. The kids LOVE it! I email the teacher ahead of time to ask if it is okay that I bring them or if they would prefer me not to and what time is good. Like I could bring it at recess or something that isn't so disruptive. Most teachers ask me to drop before school and they do it at recess or when it is a good time to take a break. I wouldn't send cupcakes even if my kids loved them cause I am like Laura C. and HATE them in my house so I would really HATE having tons of kids eating them!
I have been thinking of an alternative from cupcakes all day today after reading your blog. I love kids being able to celebrate their birthday and feel excited about the day. Cupcakes are annoying, but I am not against them. One parent packaged them in little bags and sent them home at the end of the day. I loved it! My students would love fruit such as strawberries (maybe dipped in a little chocolate) or grapes. They also love pencils and erasers. Kids like anything that I hype up. You are a good mom to go to all this for your son. Impressive!
I taught school and we had lots of cupcakes so I think the class would be excited and actually remember something a little different. I have to admit that as a mom, I hate the mess of cupcakes in my house. I try to make the kids eat them outside if they do get them. (Chocolate cupcake crumbs are the worst and in a 2-year-old's hands are everywhere!) I laughed that the teacher requested cupcakes. I took the bite size ones for Daniel's kindergarten and they are much less messy (a lot of the kids eat only the frosting or the cake anyway). I let Daniel help make them and so he thought they were extra special. (I let him pick out sprinkles too.)--That's plenty of sugar and they're about 1/3 the size of a big cupcake.
Post a Comment